Dentists' Knowledge and Attitudes Concerning Green Dentistry- A cross-sectional study

Authors

  • Dr. M. Nazargi Mahabob, Dr. Sajida Begum, Dr. Deepika Rajendran, Dr. Surya Gunasekaran, Dr. Misba Fathima

Abstract

Environmental preservation is difficult due to depleting natural resources, air and water pollution, population increase, and the effects of global warming. Everyone, whether directly or indirectly, is to blame for this scenario, and dentistry is no exception. As a result, it is our job as dentists to contribute to environmental protection by employing an environmentally responsible approach in clinical practice.

Aim of Study:

The aim of this study is to analyze graduate and postgraduate dental practitioners' knowledge, attitudes, and awareness of green dentistry in Tamil Nadu.

Materials and Methods:

A self-administered close-ended questionnaire with 20 items was used to assess understanding of green dentistry and the procedures required to implement it in a cross-sectional survey of 173 dental practitioners. The questions were created to assess knowledge, attitude, and execution in the field of green dentistry.

Results:

Eventhough the participants showed a similarity in overall comparison, the green dentistry awareness was higher among postgraduates than undergraduates (P = 0.01). Most doctors favoured electronic documentation over paper (n = 130, 75%,p=0.00), disposable drapes over reusable ones (n = 112, 65%, p=0.00), and plastic suction tips over metal suction tips (n = 158, 91%, p=0.14). 36% (n=63) of graduates, 39% (n=67) postgraduates favoured digital radiography and overall 75% (n=130) practitioners preferred digital radiography over conventional X ray films.

Conclusion:

According to current studies, green dentistry practice adoption among graduate and graduate dentists is insufficient.

Downloads

Published

2022-01-21